Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Separation Anxiety

So... I'm thinking "Soccer Tease" has separation anxiety. I've tried my best to house train him. We go outside frequently and not once has he eliminated outside. I think between Cory and I on Saturday we spent 6 plus hours outside with him and still nothing. But as soon as we put him in his crate and turn away, or leave the room he eliminates, and at night within 10 minutes of being alone in the crate alone he poops. I've even tried to take his pee and poop outside to the spot where we want him to go and have him sniff it.

Everything I read says to take them out often, if you see them sniffing like they are looking for a spot to go, take them outside and reward them when they go. The problem is even if I catch him before or during and take him outside he won't go, he just holds it until I put him in the crate while I go shower or clean or something. So I can't reward him for going outside if he never does... and when he goes in his crate I gotta take him out to clean it... I guess I should be glad that to some degree it is contained, but I also don't want him thinking his crate is his potty since I would love to not have to get up in the middle of the night to clean it up. We even bought a pad and sprayed it with some scent that is supposed to make doggies want to go in that spot, and still nothing.

And there is my venting about the house training, we can only get him to do it when we aren't around. I'm not sure how to even really attempt on fixing it. We haven't even had him a week, so maybe with time it'll get better? Other than the potty issue he's a good puppy.

No comments: